"Are we the generation that will redefine aging?

Can aging be not just growing older but growing wiser?

Isn't there a little Zen in all of us?

Although 'growing old is not for sissies' this writer hopes that aging well is a real option."

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Light Notes: Aging Gracefully: 5 Things I Learned from my Dog


I was feeling a little glum on this gray morning and I looked down at Sweetie looking up at me and snapped a photo. Wow...she has such an honest face. She looks as if I could ask her anything and she'd have some good advice for me.

 "So what do you have to say?" I asked her. We did a little mental telepathy, which is the way dog's talk to humans--if we humans can only listen quietly.

 "You are worried about getting older."  she said.

I nodded and stroked her head.  "So tell me, my sweet dog, how do I manage this getting old? Can I age gracefully?"

She jumped down from my lap and circled the kitchen table first searching for morsels, then came back and sat right in front of me.

"First" she told me: "Stop worrying about how you look...you know, all those times I see you making big sighs in front of the mirror." She stroked her paw across her face  a few times as if to show me how to wipe away anything unsavory there. Her fur stuck out in all directions and she looked silly but her eyes stared straight at me and I thought I saw what looked like a grin. I could hear her again: "If you have a good feeling inside it will show on your face. See? When in doubt, tilt your head slightly and show your teeth." She showed me her teeth and I laughed. That's a smile I noted to myself. Yes, I thought, smiles are truly the best make-up.

"Second," she said, "Take naps...or at least curl up and get a good 'pooze' in the middle of the day.

"A pooze?" I asked.

"Yes, that's a cross between a snooze and a pause." She rolled over and mimicked the doggy pooze with all legs and head raised in the air first, and then curled tightly into her.

I thought of how dogs seem to know this resting yoga posture quite well and I'd been practicing it at 4 PM most days lately. I can't nap, so I call it "flattening" for a half hour.

"Third," she insisted, as she jumped down and did the downward dog pose: "Plan something good to do each day--even a walk around the block can be just enough. Make it a scratch and sniff walk though...stop by a friend's house or the little shop down the street or the high place on the hill to take in a good view. Leave your unique signature wherever you go." She wagged her tail to go out.

I knew about her  need for "doggy signatures" but I didn't quite understand this. Maybe taking photos along the way or talking to strangers would do... I needed to ponder this more.

"Fourth," she added, as she looked at her dog bowl and licked her chops: "Eat and drink something that makes you feel good. If you think about eating tasty food it will be good for you too. It's lazy eating that makes you sick or fat. Upgrade to real food!"

Did I see another grin? Her needs were simple. She didn't complain and she lived instinctually--she took a 'pooze' when needed and always jumped into the nearest laps to give and get love. Hm.... 

It looked like our telepathy was coming to an end, but then she rallied: "Do something different whenever you can." She jumped into my lap again and nuzzled her head into my armpit...she could be very intimate at times. "You're getting a bit boring sometimes," she implied. I know she didn't mean to insult me. Perhaps I'll take up tap dancing or ballet or teach a class again.

At seventy? Yes, at seventy...why not? And when I write next time I'll go deeper.... beyond the light notes." I pondered; feeling self critical. I'll get beyond talking to my dog. I let out a long sigh.

 Sweetie turned her big brown eyes and looked at me--"This isn't enough?" her eyes beseached me.

Guilt swept over me like a dark cloud. I was wrong. This was enough! Love in any form is always good enough. I kissed her on her snout and walked to my writing table, letting the cloud pass...grateful for deep conversations like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment